NEWS: Thursday February 4, 2010

Feb 4th @ 7:04 am in News by Scott Staley

The Norwood School District Advisory and Accountability Committee recently compiled the results of the Norwood School Teacher and paraprofessional survey, and according to a report by the Norwood Post the results were somewhat surprising.  A majority of the faculty felt the school is a supportive and inviting place for them to work.  Only 6 percent voted negatively.  The purpose of the survey was to find out what teachers feel are schools main strengths and weaknesses.
Source: Norwood Post (Posted 5:59a)

A state lawmaker is dropping a bill which would have required Colorado high schools to get permission to use American Indian mascots. KJCT says Democratic Senator Suzanne Williams said yesterday that she thinks the state needs recognize the “subtle discrimination between races and cultures.” The bill got lots of publicity and Williams says she no longer believes legislation is necessary.
Source: KJCT/AP    (Posted 5:58a)

The house fire in Gunnison that took the lives of two Western State College students remains under investigation but Gunnison Fire Marshal Dennis Spritzer tells the Gunnison Country Times that there doesn’t appear to have been any signs of foul play.  It’s believed the fire started near or on an old couch that sat on the front porch of the historic home. Four occupants were able to escape, but WSC senior Adam Lockard and freshman Lucy Causley weren’t so lucky. Another WSC student, Joaquin Vaughan, is credited with saving the lives of the four after he saw the blaze when coming home Saturday morning. The home had two smoke detectors, but the one upstairs, didn’t have a battery.
Source: Gunnison Country Times (Posted 5:56a)

Traffic was pretty crazy for about three hours on the eastbound ramp of I-70 in Parachute yesterday morning after a semi lost it’s trailer while getting on the highway.  KREX says that the driver apparently didn’t have the trailer connected properly which could lead to serious and deadly accidents.  The entire ramp had to be shut down for an half an hour for a wrecker crew to assisted in the accident.
Source: KREX (Posted 5:55a)