Coroner’s report in on Montrose Murder-Suicide. The Montrose County Coroner has ruled the causes of death of the victim’s in Friday’s apparent murder-suicide. Jeanne L. Mennel, 84; cause of death was asphyxia secondary to smothering; manner of death is homicide. Her Son-in-Law, Mark A. Koeman, 61; cause of death was a single intraoral gunshot wound to the head; manner of death is suicide. Authorities responded to the family’s ranch on Pahgre Road, south of town, after a 911 call by an unknown person. Both Mennell and Koeman were found dead on scene. The Daily Press reports that Koeman’s wife, Barbara, 43, had filed for divorce July 20th after more than 10 years of marriage. Apparently the couple separated July 16th. On July 21st, it’s reported that Jeanne filed a restraining order against Koeman; she told friends he was an alcoholic and that she was scared of him. Reports from another source say that Jeanne made things very difficult for Koeman and was a “hard lady to deal with.” The Montrose County Sheriff’s Office is working in conjunction with CBI on this case.
Source: Press Release
Source: Daily Press contributed to this story
CDOT and San Miguel County Road & Bridge crews were working on controlling a mudslide that took place yesterday afternoon along Highway 145 at milemarker 75. An email from the county alerted us that the road was back open about an hour and a half later. About a half an hour after that, we were notified Deep Creek Road was closed indefinitely due to a vehicle accident. No word ever came about on when that reopened. If you’re driving in these areas, please proceed with caution. Rain is expected throughout the day.
Source: Press Release (Posted 5:51a)
Law enforcement has released the name of the man who died while swimming with friends at the Potholes on Glade Park Sunday. Michael “Jake” Higgins died of blunt force injuries to the head and his death has been ruled an accident. Higgins was climbing out of the potholes when he slipped and fell 40 feet to his death. The Mesa County Coroner has ruled that alcohol and marijuana were contributing factors.
Source: Press Release (Posted 5:50a)
Two building inspectors and the owner of a plumbing and heating company face criminal charges in the carbon monoxide deaths of a Denver couple and their two children in 2008. Pitkin County Assistant District Attorney Arnold Mordkin tells the Aspen Times that a grand jury handed up indictments last week in the deaths of Parker and Caroline Lofgren, and their two children. The family had won a raffle at their church for a getaway at an Aspen-area home over Thanksgiving weekend. Investigators say a disconnected exhaust pipe leaked the odorless gas into the house. Two men face felony charges of criminally negligent homicide and misdemeanor counts of reckless endangerment. A third faces misdemeanor charges of reckless endangerment.
Source: Aspen Times (Posted 5:49a)