NEWS: Thursday September 23, 2010

Sep 23rd @ 5:58 am in News by Scott Staley

Formal charges have not yet been filed against the Montrose man accused of inflicting fatal blunt-force trauma on his girlfriend’s infant daughter. The Daily Press says that Daniel Ryan’s hearing has been continued to October 4th.  Ryan’s being held on a $500,000 bond and faces charges of 2nd Degree Murder and Child Abuse Resulting in Death.

Source: Daily Press contributed to this story    (Posted 5:54a)

The Mesa County Health Department has confirmed that an elderly man passed away due to West Nile virus. This is the first reported death in Mesa County this year due to West Nile. No cases of West Nile have been reported in Montrose County. At this time, the risk of West Nile virus transmission is decreasing but individuals should still take preventive measures. Health officials say mosquito activity diminishes after the first hard frost.
Source: Press Release    (Posted 5:54a)

Grand Junction Police Department Officers arrested a second man in connection with the break-in at Tope Elementary School on September 19th. Garrett Barbour was taken into custody yesterday after officers linked him to the crime.  He is facing burglary and theft charges.  Earlier in the week police took Jeffrey Councilor into custody.  Councilor faces 2nd degree burglary and possession of drug paraphernalia.

(Barbour)                                  (Councilor)
Source: Press Release    (Posted 5:56a)

Prosecutors said Wednesday they won’t file criminal charges against the volunteer firefighter whose fire pit is believed to have started the most destructive blaze in Colorado’s history. According to the Denver Post, Boulder County District Attorney Stan Garnett said the applicable charge would be fourth-degree arson, but he didn’t think prosecutors could prove the necessary element that the firefighter knowingly started the fire or acted recklessly. The blaze in the canyons west of Boulder scorched about 6,200 acres. It destroyed at least 166 homes and caused an estimated $217 million in damage, making it the most destructive wildfire in state history.
Source: Denver Post (Posted 5:57a)