NEWS: Tuesday January 11, 2011

Jan 11th @ 12:27 pm in News by Scott Staley

Troopers appear in court. Two Colorado State Troopers indicted by a Grand Jury in the shooting death of Jason Kemp made a court appearance this morning. NBC 11 News says the Mesa County DA’s Office needs more time to review grand jury transcripts in the case against Corporal Kirk Firko and Trooper Ivan Lawyer. They’re facing several charges after a shooting incident on the Redlands last summer that killed Kemp.
Source: NBC 11 News (Posted 11:25a)

Marijuana challenge turned away by Colorado court. Colorado’s Supreme Court won’t hear a sweeping challenge to the state’s new medical marijuana laws. The court has turned down a request by some marijuana advocates to hear arguments on whether parts of those laws violate the constitutional amendment that made medical marijuana legal. The patients say the pending rules violate patient privacy because of a requirement that pot shops record marijuana sales on video. The patients also argue that the laws wrongly give local cities and counties the ability to ban marijuana dispensaries. The Supreme Court’s decision yesterday, not to hear the challenge doesn’t mean the court has ruled on whether the marijuana laws are constitutional. Plaintiffs say they’ll now file another lawsuit in a lower court.
Source: Daily Sentinel/AP    (Posted 11:26a)

Special release from the Delta Police Department. On January 1, 2011 officers of the Delta Police Department responded to an incident involving four individuals in a camp trailer who were unconscious.  The incident resulted in the death of a 50 year old male.  His death was a result of Acute Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.

The true number of individuals who suffer from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning each year is really unknown.   Many cases go undetected, undiagnosed, and unreported.  It is estimated that nearly 40,000 people, in the United States alone, seek medical attention each year for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.  According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) in 2005 municipal fire departments across the country responded to more than 61,000 incidents where Carbon Monoxide was found.  December and January were the most common months of occurrence.  The Center for Disease Control indicates that from 1999 through 2004 Colorado reported 60 unintentional Carbon Monoxide Poisoning deaths.

Carbon Monoxide is a gas created by the incomplete burning of organic material such as wood, wood derivatives, coal, natural gas, propane, and other petroleum or fossil fuel based energy sources.  When these fuels do not burn efficiently they create a toxic gas that can be fatal.

Carbon Monoxide is colorless, tasteless, odorless, non irritating, and slightly lighter than air making it very difficult to detect.  The safest way to detect Carbon Monoxide is with a Carbon Monoxide Detector.  There are many brands, styles, and price ranges to choose from.

Knowing the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning can greatly reduce the risk of long term illness or death. Headache and drowsiness may occur in mild cases.  Prolonged exposure can cause nausea, vomiting, heart flutter, extreme sleepiness and shortness of breath, which can be followed by unconsciousness and death.

Individuals who already suffer cardiovascular or respiratory illness are at a greater risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning even at low levels of exposure.  Pregnant women are also at a greater risk.  Carbon Monoxide enters the blood stream of the mother and of the unborn child.  Others at high risk are infants and the elderly.  Oxygen therapy is needed immediately and for longer periods for high risk patients.

If you are, or someone you know is, experiencing any of the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning the first step is to get fresh air.  Go outside for a few minutes and take deep deliberate breaths of fresh air.  If you begin to feel better you may have low levels of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.  Secondly, do not go back inside.  You can leave doors open to begin airing out the contaminated area.  Go to a neighbor’s house or use a cell phone to call 911 for medical assistance.  The only real treatment for any level of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is a pure oxygen treatment administered by a medical professional.  Lastly, before reentering the contaminated area make sure it has been properly aired out and all fuel burning appliances have been properly checked by a trained professional service technician.

Heating systems, water heaters, kitchen stoves and other fuel-burning devices should be thoroughly inspected and maintained at least once per year by a professional service representative or other qualified person.   Make sure the appliances are properly vented and have an adequate air supply.  Not only will the appliance function properly but it will burn more efficiently saving you money on your heating bill.  If you must use a fuel burning space heater, make sure it has an oxygen depletion sensor.  The sensor detects a reduced level of oxygen in the area where the heater is operating and shuts off the heater before a hazardous level of carbon monoxide accumulates. If you have an older heater without this feature, do not use it, replace it.

Install Carbon Monoxide detectors in areas near heat sources and sleeping areas.  Carbon Monoxide detectors detect the gas and make an audible alarm to alert you before the level of gas rises to a fatal level.  Always follow manufacturer recommendations for installation.   Keep in mind, Carbon Monoxide detectors are not a replacement for properly installed and regularly serviced fuel burning appliances.  Detectors are only an extra safety precaution.

How much is too much?  According to Wikipedia.org, six to eight hours of constant exposure to 35 parts per million of Carbon Monoxide can produce a low level of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.  This level generally will produce symptoms of headache, dizziness, nausea, and slight fatigue.  Chronic exposure to this level may increase the risk of permanent cardiovascular and respiratory illness.  The NFPA reports at 12,800 parts per million you will have immediate physiological effects, unconsciousness and danger of death occur after just 1-3 minutes of exposure.

The Delta Police Department encourages everyone to learn about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide and how to protect their families from the “Silent Killer.”

Work cited:
National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Web site: www.nfpa.org: Safety Information> For Consumers> Fire & Safety Equipment>Carbon Monoxide.  1/10/11

Center for Disease Control Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report Volume 56 No. 50 “Carbon Monoxide Related Deaths, United States 1999 – 2004” dated December 21, 2007 (www.cdc.gov/mmwr) 1/10/11

Wikipedia Online free Encyclopedia: www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_Monoxide_Poisoning 1/10/11
(Posted 1:03p)