NEWS: Wednesday January 12, 2011

Jan 12th @ 8:48 am in News by Scott Staley

Delta City Council is mourning the loss of one of their council members. Bill Seuell passed away January 6th after a battle with Lou Gehrig’s disease.  Mountain Valley News reports that Seuell was on city council since 2006 and even served a term as mayor and mayor pro-tem. It’s reported Seuell brought a wealth of knowledge to the table in the financial sense, as he worked as a loan officer for the Colorado Bank and Trust, and also the First State Bank of Paonia. Delta City Council is looking to fill the vacancy left by Seuell. The person would hold that seat until the April 2012 election. Bill Seuell’s funeral arrangements are being handled by Taylor Mortuary.
Source: Mountain Valley News (Posted 7:45a)

Scenic ranchland near Norwood protected. Eight hundred and eighty acres of ranchland near North Mountain and McKenna Peak where San Miguel County meets Dolores County will forever be protected after last month’s purchase of a conservation easement funded primarily by the San Miguel County Open Space Program. According to the Norwood Post, the county’s open space program provided 97% of the purchase for the North Mountain Ranch with the Telluride Foundation providing the remaining 3%. To date, the county’s open space program has participated financially in the protection of 11,400 acres.
Source: Norwood Post (Posted 7:46a)

Man way over legal limit. A Grand Junction man who pleaded guilty yesterday in a fatal drunk driving accident from August had consumed nearly four times Colorado’s legal limit while behind the wheel. According to the Daily Sentinel, Henry Stoltman registered a blood-alcohol level of .301 percent in a test performed nearly an hour after the August 2nd  accident. The accident on F Road took the life of  20-year-old Rebekah Joy King.   Stoltman faces anywhere from probation to a maximum of 24 years in prison.
Source: Daily Sentinel (Posted 7:47a)

Two bodies found. A search team has recovered the bodies of two Iowa residents killed when a small plane crashed in the southern Colorado mountains. Authorities say 66-year-old Dr. Michael Welton and 70-year-old Roswitha Marold died when the plane went down in the Sangre de Cristo range on Sunday. According to KJCT, the bodies were recovered yesterday. Custer County Search and Rescue says the couple were friends and Welton was the pilot. The crash remains under investigation.
Source: KJCT (Posted 7:48a)