GJFD Fire Sunday Afternoon

Dec 10th @ 4:52 am in News by Scott Staley

The Grand Junction Fire Department responded to a report of a propane tank explosion at a house at 2368 South San Miguel Drive with 7 units and 21 personnel. The first unit on scene found moderate smoke coming from the front door and determined this to be an interior structure fire. The crew made a quick attack into the interior of the home and found smoke and fire building from a back bedroom. The crew was able to extinguish the fire very quickly and contain it to one room and contents. Ventilation was then promptly established by incoming crews to rid the home from further smoke damage and potential fire extension.  

There were three people home at the time of the fire, as well as one dog and all were able to evacuate the home without injury. There were no injuries to the public or GJFD personnel due to this incident.  The fire and damage were considered moderate and contained to the one bedroom because of the quick containment of this still growing fire. Cause of the fire is still under investigation at this time with the area of origin determined to be a portable heater running off of a propane tank within the room.   

The Grand Junction Fire Department would like to remind citizens that portable heaters should always be used per manufacturers guidelines and only on a limited basis, it is never advised to keep, store, or use propane cylinders within the home. A Carbon Monoxide Detector is also very essential throughout the year, but especially during the colder months when likelihood of high CO levels within a home rises.