The Bureau of Land Management’s Uncompahgre Field Office is seeking public comments on 29 Special Recreation Permit applications, including four new applications and 25 applications for renewals.
The BLM issues commercial SRPs to provide recreation businesses the opportunity to operate on BLM public lands, to provide the public the opportunity to use a guided service for recreation activities, to implement recreation management decisions and to ensure a fair return to the public for commercial use of public lands. The four new SRP applicants are:
- Weimer Hunting Camp (Jody Weimer)-big game and lion hunting in GMUs 61, 62, and 70.
- Crested Butte Angler (Jason White)-walk/wade and float fishing on the Gunnison River from Forks to Austin.
- Centennial Canoe (Marty Genereux) SRP for canoeing on the Gunnison River from Forks to Delta.
- Prescott College (Rachel Peters)-canoeing on the San Miguel and Dolores Rivers.
The SRP renewal applicants include:
- Telluride Hunting Guides (Troy Youngfleish)-big game hunting in GMUs 61,62,63,64,65, and 70E. Telluride Hunting Guides is applying for a commercial SRP for 2013.
- Bighorn Outfitters (Dan Cooper)-big game hunting in GMUs 61 and 70E.
- Hubbard Creed Outfitters (Larry Allen)-big game hunting in all GMUs within the Uncompahgre Field Office except in the National Conservation Areas.
- Keys Guide and Outfitting (Joe Keys)-big game hunting in GMUs 52 and 521.
- J & Ray Colorado High Country (Larry Franks)-horse pack-in in the Gunnison Gorge NCA.
- Elk Ridge Trail Rides (Gary Nelson)-guided horseback riding in the Jones Draw area of the Gunnison Gorge NCA.
- Colorado Backcountry (Ben & Jane Pritchett)-guided mountain bike rides within the Uncompahgre Field Office.
- Hermosa Tours LLC (Matt McPhee)-mountain bike tours within the Uncompahgre Field Office.
- Telluride Academy (Luke Brown)-climbing in the Paradox Valley and guided mountain biking/hiking in Carpenter’s Ridge.
- Elite Motorcycle Tours (Darren Peterson)-OHV cycling tours in the Uncompahgre Field Office.
- Steve Hatch Racing (Steve Hatch)-OHV training at Flat Top, N. Delta, Kinikin, and Peach Valley.
- Western State College (Janna Hansen)-rafting on the Lower Gunnison River/DENCA.
- Adaptive Sports Center (Christopher Read)-rafting, kayaking and canoeing on the Gunnison River from Delta to Whitewater.
- Telluride Snowmobile Adventures (Mike Doherty)-rafting, floating and fishing as well as walking, wade fishing on the San Miguel River.
- Ridgway Independent Guide Service/RIGS (Tim Patterson)-rafting, floating and fishing as well as walking, wade fishing on the Gunnison Gorge NCA, Lower Gunnison and San Miguel Rivers.
- River Rats (Bob Harris)-rafting, floating and fishing within the Gunnison Gorge and from Forks to Austin.
- Gunnison River Pro (Chris Mortimer)-non-guided outfitting for rafting, floating and fishing within the Gunnison Gorge NCA.
- Gunnison River Pleasure Park (Caroline Jagodinski)- for rafting, floating, fishing and providing shuttle service on the Gunnison River including the NCAs.
- Gunnison River Expeditions (Alan DeGrange)- rafting, floating and fishing as well as walking, wade fishing on the San Miguel and Gunnison Rivers including the NCAs.
- Echo Canyon River Expeditions (Joe Greiner)-rafting, floating and fishing in the Gunnison Gorge NCA and wilderness.
- Dvorak’s Kayaks & Rafting Expedtions (Bill Dvorak)-rafting, floating and fishing within Gunnison Gorge NCA and Lower Gunnison River to Forks to Austin.
- Dragonfly Anglers (Roger Cesario) rafting, floating and fishing within the Gunnison Gorge NCA and to rafting, floating and fishing as well as walking, wade fishing on the Gunnison River from Forks to Austin.
- Black Canyon Anglers (Ben Olson)-rafting, floating and fishing within the Gunnison Gorge NCA and on the Gunnison River from Forks to Austin. Black Canyon Anglers is applying for a 5-year commercial SRP for 2013-2017.
- Arkansas River Tours (Bob Hamel)-rafting, floating and fishing within the Gunnison Gorge NCA.
- Telluride Outside/Telluride Angler (John Duncan)- rafting, floating and fishing and waterfowl hunt on the Gunnison River from Forks to Austin. They also hold a permit to rafting, floating and fishing as well as walking, wade fishing on the San Miguel River.
Details about SRP applications are available for review in the Montrose Public Lands Center located at 2505 S. Townsend Avenue in Montrose or online at http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/ufo.html. The BLM requires SRPs for commercial activities as well as for competitive and organized group activities or events on BLM public lands.
The BLM is soliciting comments on such issues as resource concerns, compliance history, health and safety, conflicts and diversity of services. These comments will help the BLM determine whether the proposed SRPs support the BLM’s objectives in recreation management and resource protection.
Written comments may be submitted by mail, e-mail or fax. Please be specific in describing your concerns or how the proposal may affect you. Please send comments no later than Tuesday, Apr. 2. Send written comments to Charles Lassiter, Park Ranger/Permit Administrator, Uncompahgre Field Office, 2465 South Townsend Ave., Montrose, CO 81401, firstname.lastname@example.org fax to (970) 240-5367.
Before including your address, phone number, e-mail address, or other personal identifying information in your comment, be advised that your entire comment — including your personal identifying information — may be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold from public review your personal identifying information, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.